I love quilts on wall. I love rugs on walls too but Mr M doesn’t like either of the options so the only place where I’ve been able to hang a quilt is the spare room. Lucky guests, right?
Because of this inexcusable aversion/taste lapse etc. I’ve had to wait for my dad to actually move to this country with his drill to realise my dream. (My dad loves his tools and is about to build a shed in his garden…do you get the picture?). Also there is nothing my dad likes more that spending time in a diy store so we were both happy at the end of our adventure.
There are plenty of tutorials out there on the big wide web, but this is what I did:
- cut a strip of fabric as wide as my quilt and 8″ tall, I wish I still had some of the back fabric because it would have kind of made the hanging sleeve invisible… but hey… next time I’ll keep that in mind.
- fold each short side towards the wrong side 1/4″ a couple of times and stitch down.
- fold it in half length wise (WRONG SIDE TOGETHER) and press
- fold each long side towards the middle crease and press hard
- sew along the long edge of the strip with a 1/4″ seam allowance
- lay the sleeve along the top of the quilt about 1/2 to 3/4″ from the edge, with the seam of the sleeve touching the quilt. You’ll notice there is more fabric on the top of the sleeve than on the back half, this is so the rod will not distort the quilt when you insert it/hang it. Pin it carefully.
- by hand slip stitch the sleeve to the back of your quilt.
In the photo above you can see the rod poking out of the sleeve (it looks a weird angle… I had just folded the top of the quilt down) and the photos below shows you I simply slot the rod onto the little hook.
Annoyingly the quilt is not the right size… too small to hang behind the bed… visually at least it needs to be bigger, even if the colours do go well.
I need to make another… oh well…
2 thoughts on “– 2018/31 – how to hang a quilt”
That is a gorgeous quilt and looks lovely….arguably just fine over the bed…but hey if you want to make another quilt…..I was also inspired by your ‘kitzchen'(?) sink quilt…all my leftover blocks from workshops etc. and my abandoned ‘Dear Jane’ blocks (only made 12 of the 2million required) Brilliant idea!
Your quilt is absolutely beautiful and looks awesome over the bed. I don’t think the proportion is off but I realize a lot of that is opinion and I can’t see the entire room. I have an even easier way to hang quilts. I just use Command Strips and they are magic. I have quilts on the walls all thru my house and some are changed with the season. They make me happy. I think I need to make a quilt like yours. I think it is courthouse steps but not sure. The last courthouse steps quilt I made was small and is on the wall over a bench in my office. The blocks were arranged to form a large star. Enjoy your beautiful quilt!